Bad Cover Version.

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Soaking Beneath a Silversun.


Twas the first show i attended into Pipeline, with headliners Silversun Pickups, i really didn't know what to expect. As I got in, the audience was more diverse then the show at the smaller venues. It was either the 15 to 16 year old girl + friends, or there parents. I find myself a bit unconfortible cause it really wasn't my age group to socialize with. Luckily, i found myself in front of the crowd, however, in front, to the right and to the back were these young couples, holding their lovers in arms, which didn't really set the right mood, cause i don't want to be next sappy lovebirds at a rock concert the whole time. But what was off, was a group of drunken white people to the left, consently pushing people without consideration or respect the fellow attendiees.

Doesn't matter though. It's not about the people, its about the music that makes a show great. As soon as they got on, the knock on all fours with noise blasting that surrounded the room. Reverbing guitars bounceing and feeding off of grand distortion. They started off with new tunes such as lead single 'Panic Switch' and others such as 'It's Nice to Know You Work Alone' & 'There's No Secrets This Year' before play their older tracks such as 'Little Lover's So Polite' & 'Well Thought Out Twinkles.' Near the end the crowd was wild with pushing, i didn't expect to be moshpitting, as the Pickups are so much Moshpitting-type of a band. But there so much action and sweat, my energy levels drained quickly, ever so...

The last song on the set list was their instant classic, 'Lazy Eye' which the crowd was pumped and chanted for. And in the end, the Pickups did not dissapoint, as they drowned the crowd in a massive tidal wave of mighty guitar which left my heart beating ever faster, and left my hands high up onto the soundwaves in the air; I was being wisked away into a shoegazey sea. The encore was composed of a few rare tracks from their first EP, 'Pikel' and from their debut, 'Carnavas.' On last song on the encore, the rarely played 'Creation Lake' it was the first time i was given the chance to hear the voice of the shy bassist. She appeared in great revere, in during this ballad, the crowd shouted how hot she was. She only responded with a soft smile. I couldn't disagree with the audience on this one.

By the time I got to the car, i couldn't even hear the engine start; because the echoes were still coloring my head with nothing but beautiful swoon. I was soaking in a silversun.

No comments:

Post a Comment